Monday, April 5, 2010

BEST DAY EVER!!

PHEWWWWWW

It is 3:40 in the afternoon and the sun is shining and its HOT today!! Ughhh I know I know it's most likely because of climate change but does it make me a bad person that I am enjoying every minute of the humidity when it's the only the beginning of April??

Well the day did start off crappy! I had to wake up early on my day off (its Easter Monday) and run over to the doctors for my annual physical. I was only expecting one needle (for a vaccine) and turns out I needed that PLUS a tetanus shot AND do blood work!! Ugghh my arms are pull of bandages from all of the pokes I got all BEFORE 10am!! To brighten up my day I decided to drive over 40 minutes to Hamilton so I could drop off some donated blankets and pillows to the animal shelter and walk through cage after cage of death row cats & kittens. I knew I wouldn't be leaving empty handed but of course its a hard decision on who to save. After a few minutes of debating a decided this would be the first time to rescue a mama and her babies. There were three cages that had moms and newborn babies and after meeting all three I decided on a young tortie and her four itsy bitsy babies. She graciously let me pick her up and place her in my crate alongside her little munchkins. They are now sleeping soundly in my quiet AND most importantly safe basement away from all harm. My two cousins Michael and Nicholas came over to greet them into our family and decided on some names; Shawna, Nikki, Spiderman and Whiskers for the kittens and ZIA (which means aunt in Italian) for the mommy. I warned them names might have to change because I don't know the sexes right now however it will be fine for the time being.

*Zia & her babies*


After getting the new family members settled I turned on my laptop to check my email. To my great surprise there was this video posted on my Facebook page!!!!!!!



OMGosh let me tell you I was crying my eyes out! To receive this message all the way from Rwanda and it was made for ME and the school I work at is just incredible!! I am just ecstatic and still in awe. Art Of Conservation is an incredible organization based just outside Virunga Nation Park - home to the great mountain gorillas! AOC is run by a wonderful lady named Julie Ghrist who now lives in Rwanda and teaches the local school children about their health, conservation and the importance of gorillas through mask making, painting and drawing. In my eyes she is an angel and I financially try to support her organization whenever I possibly can. This video is in response to me telling her that my ESS Green Team and I will be doing a bakesale on Earth Day with all funds going directly to Art Of Conservation! What a treat this was and I can't wait to show all of my students when I go back to school tomorrow! What a wonderful end to a wonderful weekend! If you would like to find out more about Julie's organization please click here: AOC






xoxoxox

nicole

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your quiet kittens Nicole, because it won't last, at about 4 weeks all hell will break loose once they leave the den!It's still fun but it's also chaotic! Hide the bungee cords. I fostered a Mom and 5 Babies from the same shelter last year and Wow! What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment Caroline. The kittens are sleeping so peacefully with their mama.......is there anything else I can look for specifically in terms of them being happy and healthy? I will enjoy the peacefulness as of right now! haha Thanks hunny!

    ReplyDelete