Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Christmas Kitten

I know Christmas is now over, however, I just found this poem on Florida's Rescuing Animals In Need website:

I once was a cuddly kitten, but now I am a stray,

'Cos when I was no longer fluffy, they sent me on my way.

They've kept the big Alsatian, as he can bark and growl,

But I could fly at strangers, if I caught them on the prowl.

I slink around their dustbin; I mew outside their door;

But it's clear from their behavior they don't want me anymore.

Now I'm cold and hungry, and getting very thin,

What have I done to hurt them, why won't they let me in?

I crouch in sheds and boxes, in my bedraggled fur,

So shivery and dejected, I cannot even purr.

They have another kitten now, their children's whole delight;

But probably by next Christmas, it will share my wretched plight.

"Rescuing Animals In Need promotes responsible pet ownership. Part of that is realizing a kitten will all too soon be a cat. We have heard many children ask their parents for a kitten, only to hear the parent say 'you have a cat already' to which the child responds 'but I want a KITTEN, Miss Kitty isn't a kitten any more.' We find strays all the time that come right up to people to be held and petted. These are not feral cats, but one time pets that have been abandoned. The fate of most of these abandoned pets is DEATH. Picked up by animal control, hit by cars, killed by other animals or people. This also happens with puppies that become dogs."

Thank you to all the animal rescue groups from around the world that continue to remind us all that no matter how big or old your cute little puppy or kitten becomes you are always responsible for the love, care and attention they wholeheartedly deserve!

xoxox

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment