Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fostering Kittens!!


Yes on top of all of my travels and taking care of my own, often sickly, dogs I also rescue and foster kittens for Toronto Cat Rescue. These kittens and cats are rescued from the Hamilton Animal Control where death is imminent. You see, the City of Hamilton was "not making enough money" off of adopting out their animals therefore after 72 hours if there are no cages available for more incoming pets then they start euthanizing the ones they have regardless of age, colour or personality. Many of the animals that come in are teeny baby kittens that have been found by animal control or brought in by citizens. The only hope and chance for survival for these animals are the caring animal rescues that come in and save as many as they can. Thats where I come in! Fortunately I have the space and money to rescue and foster two kittens at a time. I think, apart from volunteering abroad, that it is one of the most regarding experiences you can have! Because of me alone, I have been able to save the lives of 14 kittens. Its not a lot compared to some of the amazing foster parents that have saved hundreds of lives but I know I have made my own little difference.

Right now I am fostering three absolutely beautiful kittens. Two sisters I rescued a week ago are the teeniest most precious girls. I also just rescued a black kitten Friday night that is full of spunk as well as cuddles and purrs. I just LOVE rescuing black kittens because unfortunately, and this goes for all black animals, they are the last to be adopted and first to be euthanized! Next time you want to don't add a furry member to your family PLEASE considering rescuing/adopting first and forget about the little black ones. They can always use your extra help!

xoxoxox
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment