Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spearing Lionfish In Turks!

Turks & Caicos (specifically Providenciales) is one of my favourite diving destinations! The ocean is unlike any other hue of blue I have ever seen before and the islands are surrounded with some of the most incredible marine life you can experience in the Caribbean! I was so fortunate to be able to go back to my fav island in August for one week and dive 3 out of my 7 days! Again, I dove with the amazing Provo Turtle Divers who are always so keen on making every guest feel important and very looked after.


Of course my dives were filled with sea turtles, eagle rays, colourful fish and for my first time ever SHARKS!! However, a very special treat for me was being able to see my divemaster spear the very invasive and reef destroying lionfish!


To be honest, I am the LAST person on earth who wants to see any creature being killed, however, I kept reminding myself that the lionfish do not belong in the Caribbean waters, they have no natural enemies AND are wrecking having on local reefs by eating all the little cleaners.


Enjoy the photos of Dave, Provo Turtle Divers Divemaster, helping to preserve his local reefs!

xoxoxox
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment